The world’s biggest power is the youth and beauty of a woman. — Chanakya
These management lessons from Chanakya Niti will help you in the workplace as well as life management. Learn from the world’s best life coach.
WILF (What I learned from) – Corporate Chanakya By Radhakrishnan Pillai
Who is Chanakya
Chanakya was an Indian teacher, philosopher, economist, jurist, and royal advisor. He is traditionally identified as Kauṭilya or Vishnugupta.
Chanakya is described as a mastermind kingmaker who was an expert in various fields. He has written 6000 sutras which have been classified into 15 books, 150 chapters and 180 topics by Chanakya himself.
Read more about him – Click Here
It is divided into 3 parts
This book is not purely about management but a successful way of life. It contains principals of Chanakya regarding leadership, management, training, advice, qualities of a leader, finance and teamwork.
This book will definitely get your attention in the beginning but once you start reading it will not be the same. But there are 175 chapters in this book and it feels like they are not in a flow. Every chapter deals with the different issues but its more like an instruction manual.
It became burdensome for me to finish this book as it is extremely dry. The author tried to impart his knowledge in this book. But the editor surely didn’t do his work properly. Chapters loosely connected and kind of scattered. It’s basically a self-help book with repetitive things. That is why I have tried to condense it into a few pages so that you can learn from this book without actually reading it.
WILFThis Rating – ★★☆☆☆
What I learned from Part II – Management
Every organization should be treated like a kingdom, for example:-
- King – Leader
- Council of Ministers – Management
- Empire – Market/Client/Customer
- Fortified City – Head Office
- Treasury – Finance
- Army – Team
- Ally – Friends/Consultants
Qualities that should be looked upon while hiring a person according to Chanakya:-
- Desire to Learn
- Good Listener
- Ability to possess both logical and creative thinking
- To understand the various point of views and reach his own conclusions
- Ability to bear troubles during emergencies
- Presence of Mind
- Strength of Character
How to Handle Finances according to Chanakya:-
- Just sales shouldn’t be regarded as profit, all the expenses should be counted in while calculating profits.
- Plan out the budget in advance.
- Keep learning about financial skills such as investments, tax structuring, etc.
- Fair wages should be given to employees but it doesn’t mean that productivity should be ignored.
- A good management system should be there to take care of the financials of the company like accounting systems, record keeping, taxation.
- Keep a check on the internal accounting system and pay the taxes on time with accounts and cash flow.
- Differentiate between need and greed.
- Audit regularly.
- Make timely payments.
- Deal with the right people and stay away from dirty money.
- Money is required for making more money.
- Knowledge beats wealth.
Chanakya’s views on Team Work And Strategy:-
- Whenever engaging in new partnerships value a long term approach rather than just thinking about the money.
- Have regular meetings with agendas to give direction towards the goals and targets of the company.
- Do not close deals immediately. Take some time to think about it and never take any decision without consulting your time.
- Honor Men with Qualities and reward them accordingly.
- Have a common vision and build a proper team to accomplish it with regular communication.
- Ask for inputs from every part of your organization. Plan out to system to hear of every individual’s ideas by having an open door policy.
- Never rely on a single plan of action. Always have at least 2 alternative plans in case things go south.
- Keep an open mind and despise none.
- Constantly educate yourself with training, books, right people.
- Always plan out for disaster management.
- Time every move and learn from your seniors.
- Stability in financials, people, learning and vision is important.
- Before doing anything new, do proper research first and then plan your move in phases.